Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Controlling Your Emotions

In the very beginning of time when Adam and Eve were in the garden, satan went to Eve with his trickery and not to Adam because he knew that he could play on Eve's emotions. Centuries have passed and we (WOMEN) are still fighting the emotional battle! Satan plays on our emotions and catches us up in so many ungodly situations because we don't recognize his tactics. I don't think that I have ever struggled with anything more than I have struggled with this.

Growing up I never really learned to separate emotion from reality. If I was angry, everyone knew it, if I was happy, sad, confused, depressed or indifferent that was the reality of my situation. It did not matter if the reality was that my emotions were out of control and I was allowing my decisions and judgement to be lead by my emotions rather than being lead by the truth. If I looked in the mirror today and thought I look amazing I would be happy and I would have an amazing day, but if I look in the mirror tomorrow and I look ugly then I would be sad and depressed and my entire day would be a wreck, despite the truth that EVERYTHING God created is beautiful! One day my husband can crack a joke on me and we both will laugh but the next day I may be having a "bad day" and that same joke will make me mad and we will end up arguing over nothing. When the truth is I'm being extra sensitive and he was only playing. There was a time in my life when just because I was happy and felt I deserved it I would spend half of my pay check in the mall without regard to the needs of my household, then when the bills came I would cry and fall into a depressed state because I was "so tired of being broke". But the reality was I wasn't broke, I just mismanaged my money and rather than paying my bills I spent it at the mall.

The last few years have been especially challenging for me. I have endured several major life changing events. Divorce, heart surgery, new marriage, moving to a new state, leaving my children and my job behind, starting early menopause, and having cervical cancer. Talk about an emotional roller coaster!! Every single one of these situations were very real! And the emotions that I experienced with each of these situations were real also! Satan did everything he could possibly do to show me the negatives in every single one of these situations and early menopause and hormone therapy did not help the situation one bit! Of course I could have taken some natural, holistic approach (I AM NOT AT ALL AGAINST THAT) but that wasn't the answer for me. It was deeper than that. Satan plays on our emotions because we don't control them with the WORD OF GOD!

God made us emotional creatures, however he did not intend for us to be lead by our emotions. We must still yield to the Word!! Yes our monthly cycle makes it difficult, menopause makes it difficult, pre-menopause makes it difficult, birth control pills makes it difficult, hormone therapy makes it difficult but the bible says "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengthens me". God will not require us to do anything that He wont empower us to do! Marriages are being destroyed and husbands are being ran off because wives cannot control their emotions. One day up, the next day down, you wake up angry for no reason, depressed and don't know why. Satan is sitting back laughing at us, and our husbands are trying to stay far away because they don't know what to expect.

We cannot afford to be on an emotional roller coaster every day! On those days when your husband isn't being all that you hoped he would be and your emotions tell you to throw in the towel, rather than running into the arms of another man or running to the divorce court remind your emotions of the vow you made before God. Then take a look in the mirror, you probably aren't being all that he expected either! If you are depressed about the trials that you are facing, the reality is that trials come to strengthen your faith and draw you closer to God. Put an end to your pity party and cast your cares  upon our heavenly Father! If you are depressed because of something you have done and guilt is eating away at you, remember there is NO condemnation in God! Forgive yourself, because He has already forgiven you. Let it go and smile again! If you aren't feeling attractive for whatever reason, the truth is EVERYTHING God created is beautiful regardless to the worlds standard or what you see in the mirror! If anger, resentment, bitterness, or hatred are eating away at you get to the source of it! Get rid of it and live, laugh and love again! Because the Word says in Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in the spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. So instead of medicating your emotions feed them the Word! Be lead by the truth! Ask God for eternal joy! That kind of joy exceeds your conditions. Eternal joy says regardless to what is going on around me I still have JOY! Control your emotions don't let your emotions control YOU! It takes patience with yourself, diligence, consistency, and PRAYER, PRAYER, PRAYER!


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is all I can say about this post. I am overly ecstatic. I really needed this word. As a woman it is not easy to control you emotions when all you can see is how you feel at the moment. It is very uplifting to read something so profound as this. Prayer is very essential. It can be a challenge when you are thrown off track due to your lack of time spent with the Lord. Thank you for the post!!

    ReplyDelete

My expectations: NO MALE BASHING! Debate and difference of opinion are okay as long as it is done with LOVE and respect. We will not all see eye to eye on everything but we will be respectful and considerate of one another. We will not put each other down because our issues are different we will lift each other up in word and in deed. When you post your comment it is not immediately viewable to you. Its emailed to me first then I publish it. So don't worry because you don't see it, it's there.